Cervical Cancer Treatment
Cervical cancer can usually be detected early with annual Pap smears. It is thought to be triggered by a viral HPV infection. When caught and treated early, it is usually completely curable. When thinking about cervical cancer treatment from a naturopathic perspective, I like to make sure the following things are considered:
- Methylation: How is your body using methyl groups? Are you hyper or hypo methylated?
- Folate: How are your folate levels? Low folate has been linked to cervical cancer.
- Immune Function: Low white blood cells and natural killer cells have been linked to cervical cancer.
- How much selenium, zinc, and copper do you have in your blood? A high copper to zinc ratio and a low selenium level have been linked to cervical cancer.
- How is your serum glutathione? Low serum glutathione has been linked to cervical cancer.
- What are your insulin and insulin like growth factor (IGF) levels? IGF-1 has been linked to increased cervical cancer.
Some Natural Products to Consider with Cervical Cancer Treatment
- Apigenin – a plant flavonoid that inhibits growth, causes cervical cancer cell death (apoptosis).
- Bitter Melon – when used during radiation therapy for cervical cancer, bitter melon increased immune function and response and decreased cervical cancer cell growth.
- Cactus Pear – in cell studies, cactus pear decreased cervical cancer’s ability to grow new blood vessels, which limits growth.
- Lysine, Proline, Ascorbic Acid, and Green Tea – this combination when used in animal trials reduced the invasion (or