Cleanse Diet for Cancer Prevention
Thinking about making some diet changes? Before you do anything too restrictive, how about making some simple changes that could just help reduce your cancer risk. I’ve put together some of my favorite recommendations for eating clean and preventing cancer.
Anti Cancer Diet Tips
Eliminate sugar, white flour, and refined foods
- These foods increase insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1).
- IGF-1 has been linked to increased breast cancer growth.
Eliminate methylxanthines such as coffee, tea, chocolate, colas, and other foods or beverages that contain caffeine
- Caffeine and coffee may increase estrogens.
- Caffeine and methylxanthines can inhibit liver enzymes in Phase 1 detoxification.
Reduce red meat and fowl
- Focus on fish and vegetarian sources of protein.
- Many types of red meat are treated with hormones to increase growth. These hormones are transferred from the muscle fibers into the body. This may induce hormonal changes.
- Cured and nitrate-containing meats such as sausage, bacon, sandwich meat, and ham have been linked to increased cancer risk and growth.
- Organically raised fowl is okay and occasional grass fed-grass finished meat is okay.
- The American Institute of Cancer Research recommends keeping red meat to a single serving, 4 ounces or less per week if you’re on an anti cancer diet.
Decrease fats, especially saturated fats
- Use unsaturated fats instead, such as those in cold pressed vegetable oils.
- Reduction of dietary total fat to 10% – 20% of total calories was found to reduce breast cancer recurrence rate after initial treatment. This trend was stronger for patients with hormone non-sensitive breast cancer. It also helps reduce recurrence of prostate and colon cancers.
- Replace fatty foods with fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains.
Decrease dairy products like milk, cheese, etc.
- Dairy cows may be treated with rBGH, which can lead to increases in IGF-1.
- Reducing dairy could help maximize thyroid function.
- Limiting dairy helps reduce saturated fat intake.
- Use kefir, and other pro-biotic rich dairy products to help support the immune system.
The Yumminess You Get To Indulge In on an Anti Cancer Diet
Increase complex carbohydrates, such as vegetables and whole grains
Increase the consumption of garlic and onions
- Garlic and onions contain sulphorophanes, which have been studied for reducing cancer expression and growth.
- Sulphorophanes increase glutathione in the liver, and help the body excrete and metabolize toxins and hormones.
Spice up your life!
- Curcumin in the diet may protect against cancer.
- Ginger helps reduce inflammation, and may be protective against cancer.
- Rosemary is being studied for inhibiting cancer cell growth.
Eat your veggies!
- Cruciferous vegetables may be preventative against breast cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and melanoma.
- Examples of cruciferous vegetables include: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, cauliflower, collard greens, kohlrabi, bok choy, Napa cabbage, mustard, radish, horseradish, daikon, and watercress.
- A diet rich in beta-carotene may reduce the risk of cancer. Foods rich in beta-carotene include any fruit or vegetable that is red, orange, or yellow in color. It is not recommended to take a beta-carotene supplement; only get this nutrient from food unless advised otherwise by your doctor.
- Lycopene might be protective against breast, prostate, colon, and skin cancers. Lycopene can be found in strawberries, tomatoes, and any fruit or vegetable that is red in color.
Eat healthy fats
- Healthy fats reduce arachidonic acid and inflammation, both of which can influence cancer growth.
- Olive oil: People who have a higher dietary intake of olive oil may have a lower risk of developing cancer.
- Dietary CLA: There is preliminary evidence that CLA might help reduce the risk of cancer.
- Great sources of CLA include: mushrooms, eggs, safflower oil.
- Nuts and seeds are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids. Walnuts contain the highest amount of Omega 3 fats.
- Deep water fish provide a dietary source of Omega-3 fats.
- Studies suggest that flaxseeds reduce estrogen stimulation of breast cancer cells.
- Flaxseeds can aide in the conjugation and elimination of hormones.
- Berries are high in flavonoids, quercetin, and ellagic acid.
- All of these phytochemicals have been shown to help reduce cancer growth.
- Berries may reduce a cancer cell’s ability to make blood vessels.
- White button mushrooms may inhibit aromatase, the enzyme that makes estrogen in fat and muscle cells and can influence breast and prostate cancer cell growth.
- Maitake and Shitake mushrooms may be protective against many types of cancer.
- Mushrooms can be supportive to immune function.
- As little as 16 ounces of mushrooms per week can be protective.
Drink green tea
- Green tea may reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
- Green tea may cause cancer cell death.
Limit alcohol consumption
- No more than 3 servings per week.
- Drinking more than 1 serving per sitting may increase your breast cancer risk.
Simple juice recipe for more cruciferous veggies, beta carotene, and spices
½ bunch of kale
1 handful sprouts
1 lemon, to taste
handful of parsley
½ inch nub of curcumin
Want more cleanse recipes that can help reduce your cancer risk? Follow me on Pinterest!